I HAVE SHOES OLDER THAN THE SOCIAL MEDIA REVOLUTION

Like me, you've probably noticed the "youthiness" of those leading the social media revolution. Relax. I'm here to speak your language. So, put on your slippers, grab a cup of whatever floats your boat and let's do it. Together!

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Unraveling Social Media..Doh!


Don't be overwhelmed by the threads. There are millions of them and if you tug on one it can take you rambling through searches and "sign up here" pages for an eternity. Start with the three-legged stool: Facebook, LinkedIn, and Twitter. Some experts refer to these three platforms as the "golden" trilogy.
Facebook begins for many as a way to connect with friends and family. I still use it that way but it also has become an incredible business resource. These two purposes are not mutually exclusive and you can juggle two personae on Facebook. There is, however, a caveat. If you get too business-y, your friends might roll there eyes and grouse. Use your own judgment based on your personal and professional goals and objectives. If you are a new blogger, Facebook is the bomb-digity (technical term) for sharing information with other new bloggers. Don't be afraid to poke around (oops, bad choice of words) on Facebook. You won't believe the opportunities!

LinkedIn was an enigma when I first signed on. I had a dozen or so business contacts. For a couple of years, I didn't explore the vast number of options. No more. When I got serious about branding I decided to revisit LinkedIn in earnest and, holy guacamole (another technical term), the resources for business applications are nothing short of astounding! Follow some LinkedIn groups, sit in on a couple of webinars, and you'll be maximizing your LinkedIn presence in no time flat. This is an unbelievable resource. Experts are right at your fingertips. When I invite former colleagues to join me and they write "...I don't really check LinkedIn...don't have time...don't do social media.." I try hard not to be smug. Smugness is not attractive and typically unappreciated.

Twitter is a passion but it was a slow-burn. Like LinkedIn, I signed up but didn't fully engage for months. Just didn't get it. Then, after one serendipitous conversation with someone head-over-heels in love with it, I gave it another try. Now, it is my social media war room more so than Facebook. Every day, I check in for world news, national news, music, quotes, book reviews and a never-ending flow of social media tips.  And, the friendships I have developed with people all over the world are phenomenal. I can hear your eyes rolling, but it's true. The subject of social media friendships will be covered another day. My Twitter friends deserve a post all their own.

So, go ahead. Pick a thread and tug. You'll enjoy where it leads!

2 comments:

  1. I have used facebook for long mostly for playing games and did not recognize its potential as promotion for my blog, now when I did I am trying to make the best of it which in some way or the other can be called successful.
    And while I have twitter account, I somehow can't get myself use it consistently, I hope to make some use of it too in the coming months.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for the comment,Lena! I used Facebook and Twitter much the same as you at first. Facebook is quickly adapting to be a more useful platform for businesses and blog promotions. Love it! Stay committed and benefits are huge.

    ReplyDelete